You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why my Mac is lagging! ?

I have NO idea why this is happening but my Mac is really starting to lag, it can be fine for a few minutes or so, then randomly start again. It can be when opening finder, or whilst typing this question!

This is my hardware information

Hope someone can help!

Thank you!

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 8:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 10:34 PM

Hey NongThan!

Thanks for the info, although I think the moderator needs you to remove the serial number (as any other personal info).

Anyhow, can you say if this “lag” starts while using any specific apps, or doing any activity in particular?

Do you get the spinning wheel a lot when this happens? And do you have to force quit the app(s) when this happens, or even restart the Mac?

I think the best two tests for this problem is:

A):

Testing in another user account:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

And:

B): Testing in Safe Mode:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

This may help to narrow down the cause from either a system wide issue (The OS or file system), or a user profile issue, (A setting, preference, permission or login item issue).

Likewise, I do find Activity Monitor useful at times to find a rogue app or process that maybe causing the problem:

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Another good test would be disconnecting any or all externally connected devices, and restarting, this is a good way to rule out if one of those devices is causing an issue.

Hope something here helps! It may not solve the problem, but may point you and/or us in the right direction!

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2022 10:34 PM in response to NongThan

Hey NongThan!

Thanks for the info, although I think the moderator needs you to remove the serial number (as any other personal info).

Anyhow, can you say if this “lag” starts while using any specific apps, or doing any activity in particular?

Do you get the spinning wheel a lot when this happens? And do you have to force quit the app(s) when this happens, or even restart the Mac?

I think the best two tests for this problem is:

A):

Testing in another user account:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

And:

B): Testing in Safe Mode:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

This may help to narrow down the cause from either a system wide issue (The OS or file system), or a user profile issue, (A setting, preference, permission or login item issue).

Likewise, I do find Activity Monitor useful at times to find a rogue app or process that maybe causing the problem:

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Another good test would be disconnecting any or all externally connected devices, and restarting, this is a good way to rule out if one of those devices is causing an issue.

Hope something here helps! It may not solve the problem, but may point you and/or us in the right direction!

Why my Mac is lagging! ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.