You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dragging files with mouse in Monterey

I am using a mouse with Monteret and cannot drag and drop. I drag a file but instead of dropping, it makes a copy in the new location...the original location still has a copy of the files...

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 3:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 3:59 PM

FWIW, whether a copy is made or not depends on where you are dragging to. If you are dragging to an external drive, it will make a copy. If it's just to another folder on the same volume, no copy.

What I find easiest is, select the file, press Command+C, navigate to where you want the file, press Command+Option+V. It makes no difference if it's to an external drive or the same volume.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 25, 2022 3:59 PM in response to RKempton

FWIW, whether a copy is made or not depends on where you are dragging to. If you are dragging to an external drive, it will make a copy. If it's just to another folder on the same volume, no copy.

What I find easiest is, select the file, press Command+C, navigate to where you want the file, press Command+Option+V. It makes no difference if it's to an external drive or the same volume.

Dragging files with mouse in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.