You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen cracked on new MacBook Pro 14”

Hello and help!

My 2 month old MacBook Pro 14” has got a spontaneously cracked screen. I was editing music on a flight, closed it, returned it to its case, removed it again and there was a crack on the right hand side about 3/4 of the way up. A few streaky crack lines emanating from it and nothing else visible on the display - a dim blur of what should be there. I’ve had MacBooks since 2013, two of them, and I’ve treated this one no differently to those - with care. I was always super impressed with the build quality but this is ridiculous. I’ve seen chat about class actions and admissions of fault from Apple but without any intention to bear the cost. Massively disappointed. This can’t possibly be user error or my responsibility. Anybody else has any experience?

Apple… what do you advise and what is your perspective here? If this isn’t a case of accepted manufacturing fault that you will rectify, then you’re selling very expensive gear that you know is not fit for purpose. I can’t imagine even your reputation, solid as it is, will be resilient enough to weather the fallout from a refusal to bear the responsibility. You can’t possibly lay this on users and then expect us to pay for it. I paid nearly 2000 pounds!

Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 8:18 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 25, 2022 8:33 PM in response to Scribblingdavey

There’s a tiny blemish on the keyboard edge that corresponds with the crack. Scratching at it with my nail does not remove it but there’s an ever so slight raised edge to it, presumably sufficient over time or with a firm closing to cause the damage. It isn’t dirt - I can’t remove it. It’s the Mac body. And again… even if this was damage caused by me in some way - which I’m certain it isn’t - it shouldn’t be capable of leading to such catastrophic failure. Do we have to dust the keyboard every time we close it? So disappointed, and also in some difficulty now with work as I depend on it. Help please 🙏🏼

Screen cracked on new MacBook Pro 14”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.