You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very slow upload speed since upgrading to Monterey

Ever since I upgraded to Monterey my upload speed has decreased to a halt. I tried numerous things:

1. Tried wired and wifi connections
  2. Used both corporate and home connection
  3. Tried using my work VPN, enabled, disabled
  4. Restarted the device many times
  5. Check for more upgrades
  6. Cleared browser cache and cookies
  7. Started in Safe Mode

Download speed is normal 300 Mb/s but upload is 0,07 Mb/s and it's unusable.

This didn't happen prior to upgrading, Big Sur worked fine.

After starting in Safe Mode I ran the test and it was finally fine, but when restarted it came back.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 2:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 5:19 AM

Panda Security and if Mandated by Employer - suggest speaking to the IT Department - if they will listen and action is.

There are other possibles issue - but directly related to the reported issue >> Panda is my bet as source of this issue

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and Monterey macOS 12, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User or “ Bad Actor “ Software.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

AntiVirus Developers purposefully Market their product to create a “ Fear Factor “. In so doing, creating a False Need to for their Product.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 26, 2022 5:19 AM in response to Carola Clavo

Panda Security and if Mandated by Employer - suggest speaking to the IT Department - if they will listen and action is.

There are other possibles issue - but directly related to the reported issue >> Panda is my bet as source of this issue

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and Monterey macOS 12, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User or “ Bad Actor “ Software.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

AntiVirus Developers purposefully Market their product to create a “ Fear Factor “. In so doing, creating a False Need to for their Product.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Jul 26, 2022 3:22 AM in response to Carola Clavo

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot , ESET , Avira

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Jul 26, 2022 5:11 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you both for your replies and input! And thanks a lot for your help.

I just installed the latest 12.5 update and deleted all startup items, restarted and no changes.

Also I have to comment that I have some sort of antivirus required by my employer that I cannot delete. Or perhaps I could, and then try and reinstall just to check if it works. Brand is Cytomic EPDR.

Jul 26, 2022 3:18 AM in response to Carola Clavo

Great troubleshooting on your part.

The last line pretty much says it:

"After starting in Safe Mode I ran the test and it was finally fine, but when restarted it came back."

This clearly indicates that some software that loads when you start normally is causing a problem.

In order to know what, please run Etrecheck and post its full report here.

Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

EDIT: sorry, I had not seen dialabrain's post saying the exact same thing

Jul 26, 2022 7:48 AM in response to PRP_53

I wish I could tell them but I'm afraid they're not really Mac people and won't listen, in fact that is why I'm trying to fix this here myself. I could try uninstalling it but it won't be a permanent solution, I'll have to reinstall it eventually.

The stupidest thing is that to share a document on Teams, I have to resort to Airdrop it to my iPhone and sgare it from the iOS Teams app, that is connected to the SAME connection than my Mac. Then it's sent instantly.

I think I'll have to try and downgrade to Big Sur again, because this seems impossible to fix.

Jul 27, 2022 4:08 AM in response to PRP_53

And… We found the culprit! The antivirus is the cause.

I called the IT person and we together disabled it and it just started working fine. Then, we reinstalled it again, and again the speed stalled. So 100% sure it is the antovirus.

They are going to open a case with Cytomic to sort this out as per company policy, they don't want any computer without virus protection even if it's a Mac. I honestly haven't seen a virus in the latest 20 years, the few I saw were in the pre-OSX versions. But you know, some people are really Windows-centric and really hard to convince even the technical arguments are very solid.

I hope this post can help someone else having this problem.

Thank you all so much for taking your time to help me find the solution.

Very slow upload speed since upgrading to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.