You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Antivirus Uninstall

In reading in this community I understand that an antivirus program is not needed on a mac. I have a 2016 MacBook pro with AVG installed. the free version, it is always giving me notices to upgrade to the paid version, so I went to uninstall it. It does not let me uninstall like I do all other applications by dragging to the trash because it says it's open. So I try to close it, I can't see a way to do this, but there is an AVG uninstall application. Will this be all I need to do? I am asking because this is so different than all other applications when I need to remove them.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 7:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 7:46 AM

Yes, you should run the uninstall application.

If you are in doubt whether it was completely removed afterwards, download and run Etrecheck, and post its report here so we can have a look.

4 replies

Antivirus Uninstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.