You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display no longer working since software update

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Monterey Version 12.5

Completed the most recent system update and now am no longer able to use my Samsung external monitor. Since the update, the System Preferences no longer allows you to turn on and off the external monitor extended display settings, so I can tell the update involved this particular preference. Though my MacBook must be aware of the monitor (as it is opening windows on the extended display,) the display is not reading any signal through the HDMI port and cable.

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 7:59 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 1, 2022 8:52 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Sorry, to clarify: It would not allow one to "Stop Mirroring." There was no option to select that. Yes. the other monitor was showing up (like the example above) as an option, but would remain black when trying to extend the display.

I was able to get it set up in the interim though. I had to select screen mirroring, then toggle stop mirroring, then select it again, then set up my Macbook Air as the main screen and then the Samsung as the extended screen. That did the trick.

External display no longer working since software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.