You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen phone

My phone was stolen. I've already erased it remotely but haven't removed it from my account yet. If I do it so, will the thief be able to use it as new?

iPhone 11

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 11:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 12:34 PM

Yes, they will be able to use the phone. From the article below.

Turn off Activation Lock on a device

1. In Find My iPhone on iCloud.com, click All Devices, then select the device you want to erase.
  2. If you don’t see All Devices, it’s because you’ve already selected a device. Click the name of the current device in the center of the toolbar to access the Devices list, then select a new device.
  3. Erase the device.
  4. Because the device isn’t lost, don’t enter a phone number or message.
  5. If the device is offline, the remote erase begins the next time it’s online. You receive an email when the device is erased.
  6. When the device is erased, click Remove from Account.
  7. All your content is erased, and someone else can now activate the device.

Remove a device from Find My iPhone on iCloud.com - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 1, 2022 12:34 PM in response to angel_socola

Yes, they will be able to use the phone. From the article below.

Turn off Activation Lock on a device

1. In Find My iPhone on iCloud.com, click All Devices, then select the device you want to erase.
  2. If you don’t see All Devices, it’s because you’ve already selected a device. Click the name of the current device in the center of the toolbar to access the Devices list, then select a new device.
  3. Erase the device.
  4. Because the device isn’t lost, don’t enter a phone number or message.
  5. If the device is offline, the remote erase begins the next time it’s online. You receive an email when the device is erased.
  6. When the device is erased, click Remove from Account.
  7. All your content is erased, and someone else can now activate the device.

Remove a device from Find My iPhone on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Stolen phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.