You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to buy a USB-A to USB-C adapter to connect my SuperDrive to M1 iMac?

Do I absolutely need to buy a USB A to USB C Apple adapter to connect my Super drive to the new M1 chip Imac ? I tried to connect it through a multi port adapter, and my superdrive does not seem to get feed from it

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 24″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 5:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 5:53 PM

The SuperDrive draws a fair amount of power from USB, and a number of USB-C to USB-A adapters do not provide sufficient power.

The Apple adapter is known to provide power.

For third-party adapters, check the product documentation, or contact the vendor pre-sales support and ask.

6 replies

Aug 3, 2022 10:58 AM in response to WheelieNick

WheelieNick wrote:

A multiport adapter is not powerful enough to power the usb superdrive. You should use an adapter

Some hubs and docks reportedly are.

This is a USB-C Thunderbolt hub that claims SuperDrive compatibility:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-hub

Again, check with the vendor. Most will be familiar with whether or not SuperDrive works. And if they aren’t, you don’t want it.

Do I need to buy a USB-A to USB-C adapter to connect my SuperDrive to M1 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.