You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deceased organizer

How can we change our family share organizer for our group. The person is deceased and we need to update. Thank you.

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 7:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 12:05 PM

To changer organizer you need to dissolve the one group and form a new one. The earlier Recommended article simply tells you how to get access to the account to do the first part. You need to then:

Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support --> Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support --> Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

From: Hi, how do I make me to family organizer,… - Apple Community

"If there are children under 13 years old, the new organizer needs to leave the existing family, set up the new family, and then the under 13 years old children can be transferred to the new family. Then disband the old family and join the new family."

Move a child to another group using Family Sharing ---> Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

"Remember, you can only join one family at a time, and you can only switch to a different family group once per year." June 2021

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

D. "Family Sharing Rules: You can only belong to one Family at a time, and may join any Family no more than twice per year. You can change the Apple ID you associate with a Family no more than once every 90 days. All Family members must share the same Home Country."

Note that technically during the transfer process there will be a very short period of time when family members are not a member of either group. Apple make no mention of a grace period as regards to iCloud storage and items that are managed by Apple Music and the like. Theoretically you run the risk of losing these items during that brief transfer process, in which case each family member may wish to take out individual subscriptions to bridge them during this time.

I know that previous bit sounds like a nuisance but as I said, Apple does not make any official mention of a grace persiosd. If you wish to call them and see if there is an unofficial one then please do so.

If a child is involved, they must be transferred directly from one group to another, in which case there is no time when they are not part of a family and as long as both families have the requisite shared subscription they should not lose content.

Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support - "While you can't remove a child under 13 years old from your family group, you can move them to another group."

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 5, 2022 12:05 PM in response to Nierninwa

To changer organizer you need to dissolve the one group and form a new one. The earlier Recommended article simply tells you how to get access to the account to do the first part. You need to then:

Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support --> Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support --> Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

From: Hi, how do I make me to family organizer,… - Apple Community

"If there are children under 13 years old, the new organizer needs to leave the existing family, set up the new family, and then the under 13 years old children can be transferred to the new family. Then disband the old family and join the new family."

Move a child to another group using Family Sharing ---> Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

"Remember, you can only join one family at a time, and you can only switch to a different family group once per year." June 2021

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

D. "Family Sharing Rules: You can only belong to one Family at a time, and may join any Family no more than twice per year. You can change the Apple ID you associate with a Family no more than once every 90 days. All Family members must share the same Home Country."

Note that technically during the transfer process there will be a very short period of time when family members are not a member of either group. Apple make no mention of a grace period as regards to iCloud storage and items that are managed by Apple Music and the like. Theoretically you run the risk of losing these items during that brief transfer process, in which case each family member may wish to take out individual subscriptions to bridge them during this time.

I know that previous bit sounds like a nuisance but as I said, Apple does not make any official mention of a grace persiosd. If you wish to call them and see if there is an unofficial one then please do so.

If a child is involved, they must be transferred directly from one group to another, in which case there is no time when they are not part of a family and as long as both families have the requisite shared subscription they should not lose content.

Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support - "While you can't remove a child under 13 years old from your family group, you can move them to another group."

Aug 5, 2022 11:06 AM in response to turbosquirrel54

Hello, I'm replying to this because it is a recent enough thread and I have a similar question, which has not been answered by your reply.

In my case, my father passed away. He was the family sharing organiser and if I have access to his account because he left us his passwords, this does not answer the question asked above: "How can we change our family share organizer for our group"

I've seen that there cannot be two organisers and I am trying to work out a way to switch ownership, while keeping all the content that we have.

Thank you

Deceased organizer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.