You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air from Big Sur 11.6.8 to Monterey

Help . . . I'm trying to upgrade my MacBook Air from Big Sur 11.6.8 to Monterey. The system told me I needed more space, about 12 GB, so I deleted over 40 GB of files (I backed them up first). The system continues to tell me I need more space. First it said I needed 2 GB and I deleted about 5 GB, then,, after another reboot, it told me I needed 3 GB more space. None of this makes sense to me.

Do you have any tips?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 2:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 2:04 PM

Reindex the hard drive for Spotlight: How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support and see if that gives you the correct free space and will let you continue with the install.

If it doesn't boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and and do the installation from there.

1 reply

MacBook Air from Big Sur 11.6.8 to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.