You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

250GB of my 512GB start up disk is taken up by Mail. I want to keep all of my emails accessible on my Mail app, but can storage be shifted to iCloud? I have lots of space available on my iCloud account.

How do I change where my emails are stored from the start up disk to iCloud? My Mail is taking up over 250GB on my 512 startup disk.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 5:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 5:18 AM

Your mail will always be resident on your system if you use a mail program. It's probably time to do some cleaning in mail. The alternative is to not use the Mail app/Outlook/.etc. on your system and just use the online mail portals instead. you can then free your space on your computer.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 6, 2022 5:18 AM in response to 512HDfull

Your mail will always be resident on your system if you use a mail program. It's probably time to do some cleaning in mail. The alternative is to not use the Mail app/Outlook/.etc. on your system and just use the online mail portals instead. you can then free your space on your computer.

Aug 6, 2022 5:36 AM in response to 512HDfull

In addition to the good advice from muguy, if you haven't saved all your attachments to disk, do so. Those saved attachments, now just local files, can be moved to external storage like any other file.

By using external storage to store data, you can delete that user data from your internal disk and free up space. Remember, if external data is important, it too needs to be backed up.

250GB of my 512GB start up disk is taken up by Mail. I want to keep all of my emails accessible on my Mail app, but can storage be shifted to iCloud? I have lots of space available on my iCloud account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.