You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save Screenshots to files on iOS or Apple Photos on macOS

I'm trying to get everything on the same page with my Apple products. Is it possible in iOS to save screenshots to files (as a default not manually thro a 2 step process) OR possible in macOS to save screenshots to Apple Photos?

In this way ALL my screenshots would be in Photos or in Files.

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 5:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 6:10 PM

Unfortunately no. Screenshots cannot be directly saved to Photos on a Mac or to Files on an iPad. The extra step is required to move them to each location.

On an iPad, you can save the screen shot to files by tapping the share icon at the top right corner in the preview / edit window that opens after taking one, and tapping on Save to Files. You don’t need to save it into Photos first.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 6, 2022 6:10 PM in response to jewelslife

Unfortunately no. Screenshots cannot be directly saved to Photos on a Mac or to Files on an iPad. The extra step is required to move them to each location.

On an iPad, you can save the screen shot to files by tapping the share icon at the top right corner in the preview / edit window that opens after taking one, and tapping on Save to Files. You don’t need to save it into Photos first.

Aug 13, 2022 9:28 AM in response to jewelslife

Until a couple of days ago, if I took a screenshot on my iPhone, I had more choices if I elected to “Save to Files”. I could use Dropbox, OneDrive or Adobe Creative Cloud.

For the last few days, when I “Save to Files” Dropbox, OneDrive and Adobe Creative Cloud are always grayed out on the locations to save page for screenshots

There is a WORKAROUND that adds a step. It’s possible to use the Share icon, and share the screenshot to Dropbox or OneDrive, but then when you come back to the “Save to Photos”, “Save to Files”, “Delete Screenshot” (red), you have to select the last.

The non-grayed options I have for locations are “On My Phone”, “iCloud Drive”, “Google Drive” and one more app very particular to my configuration.

Does anyone know how to restore Dropbox and OneDrive to be non-grayed choices under “Save to Files”?

Aug 6, 2022 6:18 PM in response to Phil0124

Thats what I discovered also. It is a very disjointed system. Different procedures for different devices (iPhone, iPad, macOS); none them producing the same outcome.

Dropbox has an ability to save screenshots from the macOS to one location, but that ability also doesn't exist on iOS. I added feedback to Apple. And suggested this iOS feature to Dropbox.

Save Screenshots to files on iOS or Apple Photos on macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.