You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Aid fails on multiple items in Disk Utility (Recovery Mode)

Yesterday I saw a I/O Disk Error on my 2019 iMAC. Tried to go into Disk Utility but the applications were greyed out. After rebooting it would not accept my valid password.

Went into recovery mode/Disk Utility with this structure (using Show All Devices):

APPLE SSD SM1024L Media

Container disk3

Macintosh HD

Macintosh HD

Macintosh HD - Data

Items in BOLD failed First Aid

I'm assuming the next thing to try is Erase the disk and re-install the Operating System. Which dis(s) do I erase. If I don't Show All Devices I only have the bottom 2. Should I only erase just Macintosh HD - Data?

When reinstalling the operating system will it be the operating system from 2019 and will I have to update to each subsequent OS?

I have a Time Machine backup and assuming once running (if the SSD isn't fried) I should be able to restore

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 4:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 5:26 AM

You must run first aid on the volumes first, then the container.

If you didn’t do it in that order, try it first before erase and install.

You’ll install on Macintosh HD.

Here are the steps to follow. You likely won’t be able to accomplish the main focus of the article, but there are links at the bottom for how to erase the drive.

Erase all content and settings on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2022 5:26 AM in response to FMD

You must run first aid on the volumes first, then the container.

If you didn’t do it in that order, try it first before erase and install.

You’ll install on Macintosh HD.

Here are the steps to follow. You likely won’t be able to accomplish the main focus of the article, but there are links at the bottom for how to erase the drive.

Erase all content and settings on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 7, 2022 4:34 AM in response to FMD

Starting in Catalina macOS 10.15 and above, TM Backup will only be able to Restore your Personal Data and does not contain the Full Operating System.

If you what to be certain to stay only on Monterey without the possible Upgrade, upGrade and eventually reaching Monterey - this is a method but please do not enter this next suggestion lightly.

Scorched Earth Method 

This method will WIPE ALL Data and there is No Recovery - Period.

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computer

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer.

About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. This applies to macOS 10.14 Mojave and above

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

EDITED - spelling errors

Aug 8, 2022 11:14 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hello - thanks all. I initially had trouble because I erased both Macintosh HD & HD- Data but didn't remove HD -Data. Possibly due to this I could not re-install Monterey. I was able to get Catalina to install (after deleting HD- Data), upgrade to Monterey and restore from TM. A little buggy (permissions, etc) but a life saver.

Thanks for all the advice

First Aid fails on multiple items in Disk Utility (Recovery Mode)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.