You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reminder App on Mac stopped working shortly after migrating to new Mac

Hi all,

I am having the exact same problem as described in this post already:

Reminder App on Mac stopped working short… - Apple Community

Has anyone solved this issue?

Basically Reminders is working on all my devices and also iCloud.com but the reminders app on Mac ist just empty, not showing any lists or so.

Also I am not able to create new entries as I woudl have thought that would force a sync.

Here a screenshot of the empty Reminders app:

and from the menu, the 'New Reminder' is greyed out:

What I have tried already without success:

Sign off from iCloud -> restart -> sign back in

Disable Reminders from iCloud -> restart -> sign back in

Start Reminders -> Quit it -> disable Reminders in iCloud -> Start Reminders -> enable Reminders in iCloud

and any combination of the above.

Any help or suggestions woudl be most welcomed.

Thanks

Simon

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 11:49 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Aug 9, 2022 6:09 PM in response to s-buzr

Hello s-buzr,

We would like to see how we can help you with the Reminders app, though it sounds like you have already taken a lot of great troubleshooting steps on your own. Which version of macOS are you currently running? Simply using safe mode may resolve this issue. What we need to do is see if the problem persists during safe mode. Here are the steps we’ll need to take to do so: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

After the device boots into safe mode, try to reproduce the problem. Knowing whether or not the problem persists in safe mode will provide valuable insight as to how deep the problem may be rooted.

If safe mode does not work, or the restart after a successful boot into safe mode does not work, please contact us back with the results so we can troubleshoot further.

Cheers!

Aug 10, 2022 7:18 AM in response to s-buzr

s-buzr,

Thanks for following up and providing additional information. We recommend testing the issue in another user account. This will help us determine if specific user settings and login items are causing the issue or if the issue is system wide. Take a look at the steps in the following resource for help with creating another account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know the results. Be sure to include specific error messages and any other steps that you may have tried.

Aug 10, 2022 8:11 AM in response to s-buzr

Hi s-buzr,

With this being user specific, this could have a relation to login items or specific to when you sign in with your Apple ID. We recommend looking over Open items automatically when you log in on Mac and see if you can temporarily prevent any items here and see if this continues. If this still happens, we would recommend contacting Apple Support so this can be further investigated.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Aug 11, 2022 8:04 AM in response to ryane77

Hi all,

short update.

I had a very nice phone call with management support from Ireland yesterday evening.

We tried all the above, like sing in as other user, safe mode, disable iCloud sync, enable it and so on...

All without success.

Interseting is, when I create a new user and sign in with Apple, the Reminder App does work and also syncs happily. So the Reminder App in General seems to work on the macOS installation, but not within my account.

So finally the conclusion is:

Either during the migration from the TimeMachine Backup the Reminder-App got damaged or the Backup on my TimeMachine Drive is damaged.

According to support I have now two options:

• Reset the MacBook completely, set it up as 'new' and then again migrate from the same backup

or

• Reset the MacBook completely and start from scratch by creating a new user and then manually migrate the files from the backup (Which will take a weekend or so to get everything back at the stage where I am now, with all my customizations etc.)

I will first try to restore it from same backup and see if it works. If not, then obviously I have to go for the fresh setup and manual migration :-(

Both are quite time consuming, but thats the only way to go.

The person on the support phone told me, that he has never seen something like this before. The support was great, friendly and we had spent a good and nice hour on the phone, unfortuentely without success.

I will keep you all updated once I have tried the above so if one of the above works, we can post it and mark it as final solution.

Aug 14, 2022 3:15 AM in response to s-buzr

@TKPC.KSE thanks for reporting, interesting to hear that I am not alone… but sad

Hi all,

I tried option 1

• Reset the MacBook completely, set it up as 'new' and then again migrate from the same backup

no success, problem still exists.

i do not want to set up a complete new account and migrate all manually, this will be a whole weekend to set it up as I am used too… don’t want to spend so much time.

let us hope Apple developers find the bug and hopefully going to fix it somehow.

Aug 10, 2022 7:34 AM in response to JovonaP.

Hi JovonaP.,

thanks. I just created a new user and started the Reminders App. It works fine. I did not set up the second user with my apple id, just created a new user from the scratch and started reminders and it shows something.

It is not empty:

so it seems to be only with my user account there is something wrong with the Reminders app.

Aug 9, 2022 11:00 PM in response to Sean_B1

Dear Sean_B1,

thanks for the quick answer, much appreciated.

Safe-Mode did not resolve the issue, still havgin the same problem. I tried it even two times, booting into safe-mode, just to make sure.

Here are some additional informations:

System version: macOS 12.5 (21G72)

Kernel version: Darwin 21.6.0

Hardware: MacBook Air (M2, 2022), 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

How this occured:

I migrated from a MacBook Pro 2016 to this new MacBook Air.

The MacBook Pro 2016 was also running on macOS 12.5

Migration was done using TimeMachine Backup from an external SSD drive.

All went fine during migration, no issues, all services running well on the new System, except 'Reminders App'

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Reminder App on Mac stopped working shortly after migrating to new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.