You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCoud Photos

My Photos Library is on an external drive, currently set up as:

The external hard drive is now running out of space.

Can I simply undock the current external drive, select a new system library that is located on a new external hard drive, and wait for my Mac to download all the photos onto the new external hard drive ? Will that be done automatically?

PS: copy/paste the library to a new external hard drive is not an option as I get an error 36 message.

Second and general question: What happen when I untick Download original to this Mac?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 12:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 1:04 AM

Sorry - no idea, other than it is possible the drive has failed. If this is the drive with your library on it probably explains the missing images.

Might just be worth trying different USB ports on your mac (avoid any hubs between mac and drive). Is your mac able to reformat that drive (Note reformatting will erase all data). If it can't then can you try to reformat in a different machine - even a windows PC. If not it further suggests the drive is faulty.

This article

https://softwaretested.com/mac/how-to-fix-the-com-apple-diskmanagement-disenter-error-49153/

also suggests that error might be related to time machine. Are you using this drive for storing time machine backups - if so that is not a compatible location for a photos library, which cannot share a time machine drive - see:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 10, 2022 1:04 AM in response to P0mme

Sorry - no idea, other than it is possible the drive has failed. If this is the drive with your library on it probably explains the missing images.

Might just be worth trying different USB ports on your mac (avoid any hubs between mac and drive). Is your mac able to reformat that drive (Note reformatting will erase all data). If it can't then can you try to reformat in a different machine - even a windows PC. If not it further suggests the drive is faulty.

This article

https://softwaretested.com/mac/how-to-fix-the-com-apple-diskmanagement-disenter-error-49153/

also suggests that error might be related to time machine. Are you using this drive for storing time machine backups - if so that is not a compatible location for a photos library, which cannot share a time machine drive - see:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Aug 9, 2022 6:58 AM in response to P0mme

Yes, create a new empty library on the new drive, make sure it is the system library and iCloud is enabled. This should then sync with iCloud. If you library is large this might take days or even a week or two. Leave the mac on, connected to power, with the photos app open.

The drive needs to be USB connected, formatted APFS, or MacOS extended.

If you select optimise mac storage then full size originals will not be downloaded from iCloud - only thumbnails and previews will be created in your local library. But then you need to worry about how you backup your photos.

iCoud Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.