You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a trade-in question. Do I need to send in the old Mac before the new Mac arrives? I want to transfer files before sending it in.

I have a trade-in question. Do I need to send in the old Mac before the new Mac arrives? I want to transfer files before sending it in.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 7:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 8:13 AM

The fastest, easiest and best way to Migrate to the new Mac is using your Time Machine backup instead of Mac to Mac.

Do not Migrate Mac to Mac over your local network because it is prone to fail.

Just connect your Time Machine backup drive to the new Mac during the initial setup and select Migrate from Time Machine.

If you do not have a Time Machine backup for your old Mac, then you need to get an external drive and make one before you get and setup the new Mac.

see > Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 9, 2022 8:13 AM in response to jjalg811

The fastest, easiest and best way to Migrate to the new Mac is using your Time Machine backup instead of Mac to Mac.

Do not Migrate Mac to Mac over your local network because it is prone to fail.

Just connect your Time Machine backup drive to the new Mac during the initial setup and select Migrate from Time Machine.

If you do not have a Time Machine backup for your old Mac, then you need to get an external drive and make one before you get and setup the new Mac.

see > Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.