You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 10.13 High Sierra - How do I find a new compatible printer?

Hello, I gave my sister a 2011 27” iMac with High Sierra. She would like a printer for it. I’m not sure how to find one that would be compatible with the software. Any ideas to find out? I’ve done a lot of searching but I’m not finding any new printers that seem to go that far back. I’d be interested in even new old stock but I don’t know a reputable source.

Any ideas or information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 7:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 1:47 AM

AirPrint has been mentioned by a brody and MrHoffman. This driverless technology is compatible with macOS (10.13 High Sierra). A list of supported printers can be found in About AirPrint - Apple Support.

Buying an AirPrint printer is also a good way of ensuring compatibility with even more modern Macs.

Just one thing to watch out for. Even though the AirPrint technology as such will work with macOS 10.13 High Sierra, you may find that the specifications for some AirPrint printer models show higher system requirements. One reason could be that a printer manufacturer provides drivers for USB connections, and/or special software, for example, for setup, ink management, and similar purposes. For example, a printer may have to use an app for setup that does not work with anything lower than macOS 10.14 Mojave. There may be ways around this by using a manual setup, but be especially observant if a supplier offers "free" ink subscriptions, requires special apps, or an always active Internet connection for the printer.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 10, 2022 1:47 AM in response to Kathy Gingrich

AirPrint has been mentioned by a brody and MrHoffman. This driverless technology is compatible with macOS (10.13 High Sierra). A list of supported printers can be found in About AirPrint - Apple Support.

Buying an AirPrint printer is also a good way of ensuring compatibility with even more modern Macs.

Just one thing to watch out for. Even though the AirPrint technology as such will work with macOS 10.13 High Sierra, you may find that the specifications for some AirPrint printer models show higher system requirements. One reason could be that a printer manufacturer provides drivers for USB connections, and/or special software, for example, for setup, ink management, and similar purposes. For example, a printer may have to use an app for setup that does not work with anything lower than macOS 10.14 Mojave. There may be ways around this by using a manual setup, but be especially observant if a supplier offers "free" ink subscriptions, requires special apps, or an always active Internet connection for the printer.

Aug 9, 2022 8:07 PM in response to Kathy Gingrich

Most compatible printers with High Sierra say so right on the box. I recommend going into a Staples or Office Depot and read the fine print on the box. Keep in mind: 10.4< 10.10 < 10.13 < 11.0 < 12.0.

Canon and Brother tend to have better compatibility than other models with older Mac OSes.

Many printers will show up on Airprint, if they are configured to be on the same WiFi network as the Mac. Try to add the printer using the Option key when going to Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Printers and Scanners and see if the printer is detected with airprint if it already has WiFi. HP is pretty good about setting up on WiFi directly from the LCD on the printer itself.

OS 10.13 High Sierra - How do I find a new compatible printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.