You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro "unable to communicate with the printer at this time"

When selecting a printer from the printer due ( in this case, a Epson XP 7100 series printer), I get the message " unable to communicate with the printer at this time" Both the computer are connected to the same wi-fi. How do I correct this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 1:24 PM

2 replies

Aug 13, 2022 1:51 PM in response to Maxwellness

Hi,

The Epson XP-7100 is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. This means that it should work without additional drivers when connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router) as the Mac.

Are you using AirPrint? That is, not using a driver from the printer manufacturer.

You could also test the AirPrint capability via an iPhone or iPad.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If there is a problem with AirPrint discovery for one or more devices, you may want to try the following full procedure (in the exact order):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac computer, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac computer. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

EDIT: Just noticed that John Galt had posted while I was composing my message.

MacBook Pro "unable to communicate with the printer at this time"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.