You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an old @me.com or an old @icloud.com that I never used?

I'm sick of Yahoo... and I'm pretty sure I was given an @me.com email address at one time, but I never used it.... is it possible it still exists? I would really like to switch. And if it doesn't, how do I find out if I have an icloud email address?

I actually don't even know what the full @me or @icloud addresses I would have been given by apple are, so I need to be able to look them up as well....

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 4:15 PM

2 replies

Aug 13, 2022 4:31 PM in response to Ensatina

The prefix of any @mac.com, @me.com or @icloud.com email are whatever the account holder set them up to be. Apple never assigns anyone an email. Users sign up for one and create the address themselves.

When MobileMe shut down in the fall of 2012, @me.com addresses which had been converted to iCloud accounts before the shutdown became aliases to the iCloud email account. They are no longer independent email accounts, just alias addresses to iCloud email inboxes. See -> iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support

If you did not migrate your MobileMe email to iCloud before MobileMe was shut down, then you lost your @me.com email address and it cannot be recovered or used now.

If you have an iCloud account it will be tied to your AppleID. Simply go to https://www.icloud.com and try logging in with your AppleID. If successful, you have an iCloud account and an iCloud email account associated with it. And if your @me.com was migrated to iCloud before the fall of 2012, then that address will simply be an alias address to your iCloud email inbox.

Can I use an old @me.com or an old @icloud.com that I never used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.