You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an iPad as a second screen for my MacBook Air?

Hi all.

I was wondering if I can use an iPad as a second screen? If so, what do I need?

I’m totally oblivious so all advice helpful.

thank you

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 9:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 12:34 AM

Perhaps you mean Sidecar? Apple describes how to achieve this in the support document Use an iPad as a second display for a Mac in which Sidecar is described: With Sidecar, you can use your iPad as a display that extends or mirrors your Mac desktop.

The system requirements are

iPadOS 13 or later

macOS Catalina or later

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2022 12:34 AM in response to steffanie256

Perhaps you mean Sidecar? Apple describes how to achieve this in the support document Use an iPad as a second display for a Mac in which Sidecar is described: With Sidecar, you can use your iPad as a display that extends or mirrors your Mac desktop.

The system requirements are

iPadOS 13 or later

macOS Catalina or later

Aug 15, 2022 6:51 AM in response to steffanie256

An iPad Pro can be used with a compatible Mac to extend the Mac display to the iPad using the Catalina/iPadOS Sidecar feature.

Use iPad as a second display for your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

For older models of Mac and iPad that do not support Apple Sidecar, or if you would prefer to use something different, perhaps consider an alternative third-party product - such as Duet. Diet can be used to extend a Windows PC or Mac to an iPad:

https://www.duetdisplay.com/

Can I use an iPad as a second screen for my MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.