You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up my new MAC...and then?

I currently use Time Machine and do regular back-ups to an external drive from my MAC. When I buy my new MAC and restore from the latest back-up (assuming that is the correct way to do it), will EVERYTHING migrate to the new MAC as it currently is on my current machine? This includes third party software that I purchased, such as MS Office for MAC as well as some other little productivity programs that I downloaded from the Apple store over the years.

Second question has to do with the BEST way to prepare the old MAC before giving it to my granddaughter.

Thanks in advance.

dc

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 5:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 5:19 AM

You will use Migration assistant to move your data and apps from the old machine to the new one.

Most things will migrate. Anything from the App Store that’s compatible with the new one will, your data, photos, settings, etc. will. Some apps, such as MS Office, may have to be re-installed from the original media or re-downloaded from the developer.

In the case of office, Anything prior to Office 2016 will not run at all on a new Mac. You will need to upgrade to the current version or subscribe to MS 365. If you are a MS 365 subscriber, I recommend using the App Store versions as opposed to the install available directly from MS as it’s “cleaner” and updates along with all of your other App Store apps instead of going through MS Update.

Follow the instructions in this document to properly prepare your Mac to hand it down to your granddaughter: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2022 5:19 AM in response to paramedic228

You will use Migration assistant to move your data and apps from the old machine to the new one.

Most things will migrate. Anything from the App Store that’s compatible with the new one will, your data, photos, settings, etc. will. Some apps, such as MS Office, may have to be re-installed from the original media or re-downloaded from the developer.

In the case of office, Anything prior to Office 2016 will not run at all on a new Mac. You will need to upgrade to the current version or subscribe to MS 365. If you are a MS 365 subscriber, I recommend using the App Store versions as opposed to the install available directly from MS as it’s “cleaner” and updates along with all of your other App Store apps instead of going through MS Update.

Follow the instructions in this document to properly prepare your Mac to hand it down to your granddaughter: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Setting up my new MAC...and then?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.