You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Ethernet option in the network interface

I recently bought a USB-C hub for my Macbook Air M1 so that I can connect my but when I connected my ethernet cable to it, nothing happens.

I've tried following No Ethernet option on MacBook Pro? - Apple Community guide but the Ethernet option itself is not available in the Interface dropdown as seen in the screenshots below. Pls help

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 4:49 AM

5 replies

Aug 18, 2022 6:15 AM in response to hersheysMe

A powered USB-C hub is one that does not draw power from the USB-C port, like that one does. A powered hub needs to be connected to a separate power supply, which that one does not have.

I am rethinking my earlier reply because I assumed you were describing two separate devices: a USB-C hub and a separate Ethernet adapter. The answer may be simpler than what I assumed, and is exactly as the message says: the device on the other end of your Ethernet cable is not responding. As far as it's concerned, nothing is connected to it.

What is on the other end of that Ethernet cable?

Aug 21, 2022 9:03 AM in response to John Galt

I think the hub's broken. I've already checked the Ethernet cable on a Windows laptop and it seems to be working fine. Unfortunately, I don't have another Macbook here to test if the hub won't work on this too.

I'll ask for the hub's customer support. Maybe they can replace it as it seems to be broken.

Thanks a lot guys! You were big help. Cheers!

No Ethernet option in the network interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.