You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware? spyware? i have no clue

Running Mojave on an old desktop (yes, i know its old but i want to play my super old game), after safari has been open a while (usually while binge-watching netflix), it closes, then reopens along with a seemingly random app ("FunctionBlast" and "AdaptAction" are the ones i haven't deleted yet). i have no idea what these random apps are for, why they magically appear on my computer, or why they make safari quit in the middle of stranger things ;-; Help!

iMac

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 6:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 10:39 AM

If those are web-based games, it's not uncommon for such things to open seemingly random web pages. It's how they monetize "free" games. Just close them when they appear.

If those are really apps downloaded to your Mac, do the equivalent: Quit the apps and drag them to the Trash.

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 19, 2022 11:04 PM in response to John Galt

I have had the same AdaptAction plugin, but surely I was not using any games. Also a newer macOS Monterey.

The behaviour was likewise, browsing on regular pages like bank website (not mine), search engine and other legit pages. Suddenly Safari stopped working and the search icon of AdaptAction was appearing at the dock.

Can not find related information about this plugin.

Aug 19, 2022 11:33 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for responding! I did play games on a “free games” website one evening, and haven’t been on it since, and still these apps keep appearing out of nowhere. That’s why I think it’s something placed on my computer that is downloading stuff without my permission. Is there anything I can do about it besides close and delete the apps when they show up?

Malware? spyware? i have no clue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.