You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021) as an external monitor for MacBook Pro (14-inch, M1, 2021)

I just got a new MacBook Pro (14-inch, M1, 2021) and would like to use my iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021) as an external monitor. I want to know if this is even possible? Both have the USBC ports. Do I still need the Thunderbolt cable? I've connected both with the USBC but nothing is working. I would love a step by step guide. The apple support page is not very helpful. (Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support)

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 9:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 10:21 AM

Welcome!

Both of your Macs are far too new to use the now- deprecated Target Display Mode (TDM) which, I suspect ,you are considering. TDM was limted to a very narrow range of iMacs made between Late 2009 and Mid 2014, and no Mac newer than 2019 can send a video signal to a TDM-supported iMac. There are also OS limitation, all laid out here:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

If both computers are running Monterey, you can try AirPlay to Mac:

Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay receiver - Apple Support

Use your Mac as a display - Apple Support

I have seen YouTube videos showing that Airplay to Mc is laggy, as is the older Network Screen Sharing:

Share your Mac screen, files, and services with other users on your network - Apple Support

None of the three methods support extended desktop. If you want extended desktop and lag-free performance, get an inexpensive external monitor.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2022 10:21 AM in response to meridith20

Welcome!

Both of your Macs are far too new to use the now- deprecated Target Display Mode (TDM) which, I suspect ,you are considering. TDM was limted to a very narrow range of iMacs made between Late 2009 and Mid 2014, and no Mac newer than 2019 can send a video signal to a TDM-supported iMac. There are also OS limitation, all laid out here:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

If both computers are running Monterey, you can try AirPlay to Mac:

Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay receiver - Apple Support

Use your Mac as a display - Apple Support

I have seen YouTube videos showing that Airplay to Mc is laggy, as is the older Network Screen Sharing:

Share your Mac screen, files, and services with other users on your network - Apple Support

None of the three methods support extended desktop. If you want extended desktop and lag-free performance, get an inexpensive external monitor.

Using iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021) as an external monitor for MacBook Pro (14-inch, M1, 2021)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.