You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire and Mac Studio

How do I connect my Sony video cameras using Firewire (IEEE-1394) 4 pin to a Mac Studio (M1 Ultra) with only Thunderbolt 4 connectivity?

Anyone got any experience of this, please? Adapting the Firewire 4 pin to 6, or 9 pin is not an issue but I'm not finding anything that will then adapt to Thunderbolt 4 (or USB-C).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 9:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 10:39 AM

You require a string of adapters/cables for this.

Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800 adapter

Firewire 800 (9 pin) to 4 pin cable

EDIT:

A few notes about this

Firewire is old technology, and while this us supposed to work, and others have done it successfully, I have not tried.

The adapters are not cheap, so if you have a chance, try before you buy.

Thunderbolt 4 uses the same connector and is supposed to be backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 3.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2022 10:39 AM in response to Simon - Peter

You require a string of adapters/cables for this.

Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800 adapter

Firewire 800 (9 pin) to 4 pin cable

EDIT:

A few notes about this

Firewire is old technology, and while this us supposed to work, and others have done it successfully, I have not tried.

The adapters are not cheap, so if you have a chance, try before you buy.

Thunderbolt 4 uses the same connector and is supposed to be backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 3.

Firewire and Mac Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.