You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using late 2013 imac as display for 2021 macbook with M1 chip

I am looking to use my new 2021 Macbook pro 14" with M1 to my late 2013 imac as a display.

It doesn't matter what cables I try to use I am not having any success. Please help. Thanks!

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 10:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 12:19 AM

See this requirements for target display mode

To use any of these iMac models as an external display:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt  or Thunderbolt 2  cable.

As you can see, your new MBP is not compatible with target display mode. As a first, it has difficulties to work on a laptop with any OS higher then Catalina.

As a second, you will need to use a thunderbolt 2 cable and your new MBP does not have thunderbolt 2 ports. Target display mode will not work with dongles

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2022 12:19 AM in response to Katherine Chordas

See this requirements for target display mode

To use any of these iMac models as an external display:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt  or Thunderbolt 2  cable.

As you can see, your new MBP is not compatible with target display mode. As a first, it has difficulties to work on a laptop with any OS higher then Catalina.

As a second, you will need to use a thunderbolt 2 cable and your new MBP does not have thunderbolt 2 ports. Target display mode will not work with dongles

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

using late 2013 imac as display for 2021 macbook with M1 chip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.