You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.5.1 not showing up after attempt to install

After numerous tries the other day, I finally got Monterey 12.5 to install on my 2019 iMac. It took half a dozen tries before I finally did NOT get a "failure to install" alert at the 35 minute mark. Today I learned that there is a major issue with 12.5 that can only be addressed with 12.5.1. The same bloody thing is happening. The 12 gb download finishes, I get a message that the download is being verified, and installation fails at "35 minutes remaining." Downloading via the App Store and in Safe Mode do nothing. Is there anything I can try before going to Recovery Mode? I really, really, really don't want to have this fail in Recovery Mode.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 8:07 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Aug 19, 2022 2:47 AM in response to Tom Hayes1

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

8 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal and Try Again using the Software Update Applet in System Preferences

9 - Worst case - Restart in Recovery Mode and choose Reinstall macOS. This in theory will pull latest version of Monterey available and commence the installation.

Aug 19, 2022 2:31 PM in response to Tom Hayes1

Part 1 or 2

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and Monterey macOS 12, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User and protects against from “ Bad Actor “ Software.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

AntiVirus Developers purposefully Market their product to create a “ Fear Factor “. In so doing, creating a False Need for their Product.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Part 2 of 2

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions

The below list is only a Partial List

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot , ESET , Kaspersky Antivirus. Anti virus

Aug 26, 2022 9:43 AM in response to Tom Hayes1

We found that a security client was blocking traffic to gg.apple.com during preparation.

I recommend running the terminal commands to assist in troubleshooting the download and installation. When you run the installation via terminal, we found that during preparation, the installer requires access to the internet to get firmware information on your mac.

Ensure your macs have access to these enterprise urls: Use Apple products on enterprise networks - Apple Support

We found that during preparation, the installer requires access to the internet to get firmware information.

Try these terminal commands:

Download Full installer via Terminal: (12.5GB)

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 12.5.1 

Install macOS Monterey via Terminal: (After you confirm the installer has been downloaded)

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --forcequitapps --nointeraction --passprompt

Aug 18, 2022 9:02 PM in response to Tom Hayes1

The last two updates (including 12.5.1) refuse to complete on my M1 Mac Mini, each time presenting a "Failed to personalize the software update. Please try again" error notification. The small print recommends that I "Please check [my] internet connection and try again," but with no benefit for me when I do so. This represents two security updates that I don't have access to, and I worry about the upcoming OS 16. Is there something else I should be doing? I've never had this problem before.

Aug 19, 2022 2:17 PM in response to SamGribley

I'm sorry you're experiencing this too. It's frustrating as ****. I have tried numerous things all day; none of them worked. The only thing I have yet to try is Recovery Mode, which I am very reluctant to do because if it fails I have the additional headache of having to restore from a backup. Antivirus is disabled; I doublechecked. I have a strong, fast wifi connection, with a new ethernet cable to the router as of today. I have been trying twice an hour all day with the same "check your internet connection" error message. If you're feeling as unhappy as I am...my sympathies. I think the Apple servers are overloaded but I have no way to verify it.

Aug 19, 2022 6:32 PM in response to SamGribley

Oh my God, the mansplaining! :) I *have* done searches for the problem before coming here! I did not feel the need to enter my life story as it was not relevant to the problems. At one point my wife, without my knowledge, installed Sophos. I uninstalled it ages ago. I have no other phony antivirus software, nor would I. However, I was trying to be of help to Sam and thought it would be prudent for them to deactivate any software they had running. Not for me to tell them what to have or not have on their devices. To Sam: The fourth time I tried the download in Safe Mode via wired ethernet connection to my router, it worked. Yay for that. However, when I restarted after installation the first popup was that bloody "Volume Hash Mismatch Error" which recommended I reinstall the Mac OS. I tried twice to reinstall Monterey in Recovery Mode and both times it got down to less than 5 minutes to go and then failed. All the screen said was "Installation failed." I gave up and I restarted my iMac; it is running but things like the App Store and Mail have crashed unexpectedly since. No Panic Errors or black screens so far. I will try to get help reinstalling Monterey tomorrow and hopefully put paid to the Hash Mismatch errors. If you are NOT getting Volume Mismatch, the wired safe mode install of 12.5.1 may work for you. Good luck!

Monterey 12.5.1 not showing up after attempt to install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.