You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I move an older folder to a newer position in the folder hierarchy

I want move a folder in the 2021 section of the finder to today's more recent date position. Is that doable?

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 8:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 2:25 PM

I had to get a "date changer app" from the APP STORE. Nothing else worked on the folder!

The Date groupings you see are not actual locations. They are just using a search criteria to gather items into a particular date. range. So, changing the date on the folder would be the only way to have it show up in a different date grouping.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2022 2:25 PM in response to Big Dog Murphy

I had to get a "date changer app" from the APP STORE. Nothing else worked on the folder!

The Date groupings you see are not actual locations. They are just using a search criteria to gather items into a particular date. range. So, changing the date on the folder would be the only way to have it show up in a different date grouping.

Aug 21, 2022 9:40 AM in response to Big Dog Murphy

What viewing mode are you in: icon, list or column? The icon mode is the only one that lets you manually sort the files if you set the View ➙ Sort By to None.

The List and column modes can only sort by these features:

If in List view you can assign tags to the files and sort by tags which will be sorted within a tag by title. Or you can put a special character in front of the file name to move it up to the top of the list sorted by title: •*@^, a space, etc.

How can I move an older folder to a newer position in the folder hierarchy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.