You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume control on app

So why is it that I can’t control the volume with my iPhone or iPad? I’ve tried learning new devices but it won’t acknowledge me pressing any directions when being asked to. I can control the Apple TV otherwise with both devices. I have the latest iOS.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 12:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 1:43 AM

It depends on your audio setup.

The software remote can do volume control for select AV receivers that support volume control over CEC. I don’t think any TV supports volume control from any connected devices.

The software remote on iPhone or iPad is a network device that communicates with the Apple TV box. Unlike the physical remote, the iPhone or iPad is not capable of sending IR signals directly to the TV or audio system.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2022 1:43 AM in response to jonna194

It depends on your audio setup.

The software remote can do volume control for select AV receivers that support volume control over CEC. I don’t think any TV supports volume control from any connected devices.

The software remote on iPhone or iPad is a network device that communicates with the Apple TV box. Unlike the physical remote, the iPhone or iPad is not capable of sending IR signals directly to the TV or audio system.

Aug 22, 2022 7:43 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Sound fair, but then I have a following question. When I ask Siri to turn down the volume she answers that I can control the volume on my phone using the volume buttons. But when pressing nothing happens. And if the phone cannot send IR but only through network it should be able to change the sound the same way I manage to go through different menus on Apple TV?

Aug 24, 2022 2:29 AM in response to jonna194

Apple TV will allow for a single volume control (typically on the TV or audio system), and not alter the audio signal as it streams from the Apple TV box over HDMI.

As for Siri, she may not be aware if you have a supported AV receiver (or HomePods or headphones), or if you use TV speakers, soundbar, or not so advanced receiver. The buttons are there, even if your equipment doesn’t support it at this time.

Volume control on app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.