You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t permanently delete gmail

My gmail is taking up my systems space on my MacPro and I can’t seem to delete messages in mail folders or archived mail

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 12:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 6:31 PM

I understand you have some email messages in your Google Mail account that you would like to delete in order to increase space on your Mac, but you are unable to delete them. Is that correct?

In the Mail app, you ought to be able to select a message (or all messages) and click the Trash icon. That action marks those messages as deleted, but they do not actually disappear and release they space they occupy until you empty Mail's Trash. To do that, click the Mailbox menu > Erase Deleted Items... > choose In All Accounts, or choose only the relevant Account.

That should do it, but if it does not, log into your Google Mail account using its webmail interface. Check to make sure those deleted messages are really gone.

If for whatever reason you still do not realize an increase in storage space, rebuild the Trash Mailbox (or all Mailboxes) according to Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2022 6:31 PM in response to jamminbread72

I understand you have some email messages in your Google Mail account that you would like to delete in order to increase space on your Mac, but you are unable to delete them. Is that correct?

In the Mail app, you ought to be able to select a message (or all messages) and click the Trash icon. That action marks those messages as deleted, but they do not actually disappear and release they space they occupy until you empty Mail's Trash. To do that, click the Mailbox menu > Erase Deleted Items... > choose In All Accounts, or choose only the relevant Account.

That should do it, but if it does not, log into your Google Mail account using its webmail interface. Check to make sure those deleted messages are really gone.

If for whatever reason you still do not realize an increase in storage space, rebuild the Trash Mailbox (or all Mailboxes) according to Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support.

Can’t permanently delete gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.