You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD working on Windows, but cannot format on Macbook

My problem is this:

I have bought M1 Macbook and external M.2 disk that was working fine for several months, until one day I opened my Macbook and it wasn't visible in Finder or accessible. I have tried everything I could think of both on Windows and Mac and the only thing I can do is to go on Windows erase the partition that is protected and format it to exFAT. That works both on Mac and Win and the disk is recognized and file transfer is working, but that's everything I can do and I need to get in into APFS format, since I use it only on the Mac.

The results I get if I try to format in into other formats on Mac are these:

1. In some cases I get 69874 error
  2. other times I get 119930868 error
  3. and at last I get stuck on "Waiting for partitions to activate".

I cannot do anything else and it seems that disk is otherwise fine. I don't have access to any other Mac machines I could test this further.

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 1:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 3:54 AM

Nope, but your question prompted me to test the rest of the formats, which lead me to the conclusion, that it's my enclosure that cannot format stuff when I have plugged in M.2 and not the M.2 itself (I can format when the M.2 is plugged directly into the Win PC, but I cannot when I have M.2 plugged into the enclosure and since I need to format my drive into APFS I cannot do it with my current set up and the new enclosure is on it's way. So thanks.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2022 3:54 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Nope, but your question prompted me to test the rest of the formats, which lead me to the conclusion, that it's my enclosure that cannot format stuff when I have plugged in M.2 and not the M.2 itself (I can format when the M.2 is plugged directly into the Win PC, but I cannot when I have M.2 plugged into the enclosure and since I need to format my drive into APFS I cannot do it with my current set up and the new enclosure is on it's way. So thanks.

Aug 24, 2022 4:12 AM in response to Quentin0505

Did the M.2 format even in Windows when it was in that enclosure?

p.s. I have been considering switching from SATA to somewhat faster M.2 SSDs but I still have not found a dock that could readily accept bare M.2 drives in a "toaster" like manner like OWC Dual Drive Dock I currently use. And picking the most compatible and bootable M.2 enclosure seems daunting so I am waiting for things to mature.

External SSD working on Windows, but cannot format on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.