You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Images in a Pages document

I want to have images in a Pages document added inline to text. When I bring in an image, it seems to be on the page rather than an inline image. I also can't seem to control where it ends up when dragged in. I drag to a paragraph down the page and it ends up somewhere else.

PS I can't open the manual in Books on an Intel iMac. Opens on M1 MBP. But I can't find any of this in the manual. But then it has no Index.

iMac

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 3:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 3:50 PM

It is more informational to mention the version of Pages you are using and the current operating system version.

"Inline to text" may mean different things to different people… The Arrange panel's Text Wrap options can change how the selected image interacts with adjacent text. Pages documentation is also online: Pages - Official Apple Support

When you add images to a Pages document, their text wrap is by default set to automatic, and that causes text to flow above and below the image as you drag it around. If you set the text wrap to inline with text, the text still hugs the top and bottom of the image. When the text wrap is set to around, the text will surround the image, or if the image is margin justified, wrap around it on three sides.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2022 3:50 PM in response to SoCalMtnBiker

It is more informational to mention the version of Pages you are using and the current operating system version.

"Inline to text" may mean different things to different people… The Arrange panel's Text Wrap options can change how the selected image interacts with adjacent text. Pages documentation is also online: Pages - Official Apple Support

When you add images to a Pages document, their text wrap is by default set to automatic, and that causes text to flow above and below the image as you drag it around. If you set the text wrap to inline with text, the text still hugs the top and bottom of the image. When the text wrap is set to around, the text will surround the image, or if the image is margin justified, wrap around it on three sides.

Aug 23, 2022 5:24 PM in response to SoCalMtnBiker

Hi SCMB,

"Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant editing a post."

Editing is allowed for a relatively short time after posting.

Click the 'down' marker at the right end of this group. Edit will be the first option, if its time window has not expired.

Regards,

Barry

This post was edited shortly after sending. The quoted line from SCMB's post was reformatted to Italics, and this note was added.

B.

Aug 22, 2022 4:26 PM in response to VikingOSX

Pages 12.1, Monterey 12.5.1 on Intel

To clarify "inline with text" is Pages terminology. I understand the text wrap options, but it's how the image comes into Pages that causes confuses me.

And once I've got the Pin showing it's inline with text, how do I move it to another place in the document, in other words, to a specific place in a sentence. I don't see any indicator when I'm moving the document. If I drag text around, I get the cursor indicator to indicate where that text will end up. I expect something similar when moving an inline image.

My experience is that when I add an image, it's stuck to a place on the page, not inline.

Aug 23, 2022 7:00 AM in response to SoCalMtnBiker

Pages was not written to edit dropped objects on it, whether a PDF (image) scan, or any image. Pages also was not written to have the specific finesse of text and image positioning that one would appreciate in real packages such as Affinity Publisher, InDesign, Quark, or the Open Source Scribus. I suspect you will continue to experience frustration when attempting to do so.

Aug 23, 2022 10:08 AM in response to VikingOSX

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant editing a post.

But "Pages also was not written to have the specific finesse of text and image positioning that one would appreciate" seems to be too true. And after how many years.

And thanks for the reminder: "you will continue to experience frustration when attempting to do so."

I just don't do enough of this to warrant the cost and/or trouble of another program.

Images in a Pages document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.