You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font sizes. Is full control over the entire UI including font sizes asking so much?

I mean... really. I am going to go into one of those "when I was young this was how it was done" tales which I normally loathe and so on. But Apple, you have earned this one and then some.

When I went from Commodore computers to an IBuM with Windoze in 1991 or thereabouts, I was taken by the way that one could change the sizes of fonts, scrollbars, command buttons, and so on. I never thought then, as a teenager, I would need glasses to see more than twelve feet in front of my face clearly. But when things are near enough, I still experience better than 20/20 vision. I can see things in the faces of people I am standing toe to toe with that they will not see in their bathroom mirror.

But I cannot read the text in many UI elements on my current MacBook Pro. The address bar in browsers is barely readable. The word count at the bottom of windows in Scrivener takes squinting and leaning in. Elements like the text below buttons is unreadable.

I urge all who read this to look at the bottom bar of the Scrivener window and look at these texts. I mean... really? And this is hardly a situation unique to Scrivener. The bottom bar of Finder windows, the text on Safari tabs, the text on Vivaldi tabs, the options buttons on Pages, and on and on it goes.

Accessibility is not a luxury, and when you are making your OS less accessible than a thirty year old iteration of an OS that everyone hates, it is a bit much. For crying out loud, Apple, I used to tell people that once you go Mac you never go back. But now...?

Now, I have spoken with tech support and so on, but "set your screen to a lower resolution"? Really? Again, here we go back to the 1990s, but 3072 by 1920 is a resolution people would have killed for in 1995 (1024 by 768 was big news then), and again, in 1995, the people who designed operating systems made changing the font sizes of the UI elements (or even the graphical ones) an option. Hey, Apple did the same thing up until about OS X 10.10 or so.

This is a massive accessibility issue, and not merely because it is too hard to read text. Thin scroll bars make it more difficult to scroll up and down manually, small window close buttons make it easy to miss and hit something you do not want (by the way, Apple, give us the option to have a button that blows up the window to use the space between the title bar and the dock, and while you are at it split the title bar from the file menu again, thankies... that also causes accessibility problems).

Apple, accessibility is not something you just pay lip service to for PR. It is an essential item for many people. The chances of becoming disabled increase dramatically with age, and the percentage of people in this world who have twenty-twenty vision without glasses is a mere thirty-five. I am unconvinced that

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 6:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 6:19 AM

Feel free to share your concerns with Apple.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 23, 2022 8:19 AM in response to DeanSad

DeanSad wrote:

Now, I have spoken with tech support and so on, but "set your screen to a lower resolution"? Really? Again, here we go back to the 1990s, but 3072 by 1920 is a resolution people would have killed for in 1995 (1024 by 768 was big news then), and again, in 1995, the people who designed operating systems made changing the font sizes of the UI elements (or even the graphical ones) an option. Hey, Apple did the same thing up until about OS X 10.10 or so.

It isn't the 1990s anymore. While tech support may say to use a lower resolution, modern displays don't have resolutions like that. They only have one resolution and the operating system scales the fonts - exactly as you are asking for.

Font sizes. Is full control over the entire UI including font sizes asking so much?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.