You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The hard drive I was using for Time Machine on my MacMini is no longer appearing in Finder or on my Desktop after I moved my MacMini. Any thoughts?

Why am I not seeing the hard drive I use for Time Machine in Finder or on my Desktop. If I go in to Time Machine it looks like Backups are there, but if I hit the Time Machine tag on the header it states my last back up was August 14. This was the day I powered my MacMini down and moved it.

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 7:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 7:32 AM

If that Time Machine drive fails to mount, then it is either damaged, or corrupted. With the drive connected, launch Disk Utility, and in its side panel, select the name of your Time Machine drive. Run First Aid on that TM drive and hope you get a green result. If you get red, run First Aid again. Quick Disk Utility.

If you received a clean (green) bill of health from Disk Utility, and your TM drive appears on your Desktop, either visit the TM icon on your Mac menu, and select Backup Now, or visit the TM Preferences panel, select Show Time Machine in menu bar, and repeat the first sentence in this paragraph. Observe if your TM backup completes.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 23, 2022 7:32 AM in response to mtadams

If that Time Machine drive fails to mount, then it is either damaged, or corrupted. With the drive connected, launch Disk Utility, and in its side panel, select the name of your Time Machine drive. Run First Aid on that TM drive and hope you get a green result. If you get red, run First Aid again. Quick Disk Utility.

If you received a clean (green) bill of health from Disk Utility, and your TM drive appears on your Desktop, either visit the TM icon on your Mac menu, and select Backup Now, or visit the TM Preferences panel, select Show Time Machine in menu bar, and repeat the first sentence in this paragraph. Observe if your TM backup completes.

The hard drive I was using for Time Machine on my MacMini is no longer appearing in Finder or on my Desktop after I moved my MacMini. Any thoughts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.