You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro clock reverting to 2013

Hello,

the clock of my new (bought in July) 14" M1 MacBook Pro keeps reverting to Dec 5, 2013 at least once a day, sometimes more often. I have to go to System Preferences, Date & Time and click Open Lock and it immediately reverses to the correct time. But a few hours later, I'll have to do it all again.

What can I do?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 8:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 7:48 AM

The prime suspect that this point would be software that is intervening in the auto time-setting process and messing it up.

¿Are you running any third-party Virus scanners or a VPN you installed yourself?

10 replies

Sep 12, 2022 1:42 PM in response to donisl

it is not an accident that the Apple article cited talks about

"Check Language & Region preferences"

... in its last section. Sometimes portions of the settings get clobbered, and the internal time is correct (without which you could NOT make an Internet connection), but only its PRESENTATION is messed up.

Rather than tediously checking each setting, I suggest the following procedure:

change the region to one not appropriate for you -- .e.g, in the US, choose UK.

close the window and save changes.

open the window again and change to the setting you want for the long run -- e.g, in the US, now choose US)

close the window and save changes

Test.

Report any results.

Oct 12, 2022 6:31 AM in response to donisl

I have tried all the suggestions, upgraded to 12.6, nothing helps. At least once a day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, the clock reverts to 2013 and before I can connect to the internet again, I have to set it right in System Preferences.

What should I do? Is this machine broken? Shall I bring it to an Apple Store for repair?

Oct 21, 2022 10:40 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hello and thanks you for your advice.

I had two VPNs, Windscribe and LuLu and I deleted both. However, that made no difference. But it made me think about unwanted pieces of software on my machine and I ran EtreCheck, which found lots of x86-only apps, extensions, preferences, Kernel extensions etc that were outdated. After carefully deleting most of them, my machine’s clock has now been working fine for over 3 days. Thanks again.

MacBook Pro clock reverting to 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.