You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I get a caution about a sign in from another city, immediately after attempting to sign in at home

As soon as I sign in to the Apple community site on my iMac, I am notified that a code will be sent to my other devices. When I check my iPad for the code, there is a pop up stating someone is trying to sign in from Santa Clara, Calif. (not my location). I have requested the code be sent to my phone, but I don't understand the inaccurate city notification.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 10:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 10:58 AM

See the following from Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

What if I don’t recognize the location shown in my sign in notification?

When you sign in on a new device, you’ll get a notification on your other trusted devices that includes a map showing the approximate location of the new device. This is an approximate location based on the IP address the device is currently using, rather than the exact location of the device. The location shown might reflect the network you're connected to, and not your physical location.

If you know you’re the person trying to sign in but you don’t recognize the location shown, you can still tap Allow and continue signing in. However, if you ever see a notification that your Apple ID is being used to sign in on a new device and you're not the one signing in, tap Don’t Allow to block the sign in attempt.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2022 10:58 AM in response to rkasch

See the following from Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

What if I don’t recognize the location shown in my sign in notification?

When you sign in on a new device, you’ll get a notification on your other trusted devices that includes a map showing the approximate location of the new device. This is an approximate location based on the IP address the device is currently using, rather than the exact location of the device. The location shown might reflect the network you're connected to, and not your physical location.

If you know you’re the person trying to sign in but you don’t recognize the location shown, you can still tap Allow and continue signing in. However, if you ever see a notification that your Apple ID is being used to sign in on a new device and you're not the one signing in, tap Don’t Allow to block the sign in attempt.

Aug 24, 2022 11:20 AM in response to rkasch

Providing accurate IP geolocation is more expensive for ISPs, and providing very accurate data is hazardous for internet users due to its usefulness to stalkers, abusive exes, and thieves.

In general, IP geolocation data is best assumed to be accurate when it’s in the same country.

Around here, IP addresses usually geolocate to within one of three (adjacent) US states, so fairly accurate.

If the two-factor request comes in contemporaneously with your own access attempt, it’s likely correct and should be approved.

If not, or particularly if you get deluged with sign-in requests, you will want to deny all, and to change your Apple ID password.

Why do I get a caution about a sign in from another city, immediately after attempting to sign in at home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.