You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display.

Question... I have a 2017 27" iMac and had two separate displays connected. I recently switched one of the displays out for an older thunderbolt monitor. the iMac and Thunderbolt Display both work but the Third monitor does not. question is if I can connect the third display through the thunderbolt port on the Thunderbolt Display or if I have to have it on the iMac? I was trying to free up one of my thunderbolt 3 ports by using the thunderbolt 2 on the Thunderbolt Display. Any info helps thanks!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.2

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 8:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 6:08 AM

Your Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter is probably just a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, Thunderbolt 2 and Mini DisplayPort use the same plug but the Thunderbolt port on the back of a Thunderbolt display will not run a Mini DisplayPort device. Computer Thunderbolt 2 ports do work with Mini DisplayPort devices.

You need a true Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter that does not use Mini DisplayPort, but I don't know if such adapters exist. You may be able to find a Thunderbolt 2 dock that can run a display, but it won't be cheap.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2022 6:08 AM in response to mrwibbers

Your Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter is probably just a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, Thunderbolt 2 and Mini DisplayPort use the same plug but the Thunderbolt port on the back of a Thunderbolt display will not run a Mini DisplayPort device. Computer Thunderbolt 2 ports do work with Mini DisplayPort devices.

You need a true Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter that does not use Mini DisplayPort, but I don't know if such adapters exist. You may be able to find a Thunderbolt 2 dock that can run a display, but it won't be cheap.

Thunderbolt Display.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.