You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt 4 to thunderbolt adaptor

I have a late 2012 iMac running Catalina 10.15.7. I am planning to buy an M2 Macbook Air and intended to access the hard drive on my iMac using Target Disc Mode. My iMAC has the old Thunderbolt/ Thuderbolt 2 socket. I was planning to buy the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adaptor and a Thunderbolt 2 cable but the adaptor support page says its not compatible with the USB C on Macbooks after 2015 (assume they have Thunderbolt 4). Is it possible to connect the Thunderbolt ports on my iMac and M2 Macbook? If so who makes a suitable cable/adaptor??

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 8:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 8:26 AM

It should be compatible for that use. The only caveat is that it doesn't provide power over Thunderbolt, so both sides have to be powered (i.e. it can't power a bus-powered Thunderbolt drive) but in your case both ends are self-powered. They actually call it USB 4.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple
The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter lets you connect Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices — such as external hard drives and Thunderbolt docks — to any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) / USB 4 ports on your Mac.
connect the Thunderbolt ports on my iMac and M2 Macbook? If so who makes a suitable cable/adaptor??

The big caveat is that you'll need a real Thunderbolt cable. Some have made the mistake of thinking that a cheaper mini-DisplayPort cable would work, but they will only work for video and not data.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2022 8:26 AM in response to DaveNL

It should be compatible for that use. The only caveat is that it doesn't provide power over Thunderbolt, so both sides have to be powered (i.e. it can't power a bus-powered Thunderbolt drive) but in your case both ends are self-powered. They actually call it USB 4.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple
The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter lets you connect Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices — such as external hard drives and Thunderbolt docks — to any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) / USB 4 ports on your Mac.
connect the Thunderbolt ports on my iMac and M2 Macbook? If so who makes a suitable cable/adaptor??

The big caveat is that you'll need a real Thunderbolt cable. Some have made the mistake of thinking that a cheaper mini-DisplayPort cable would work, but they will only work for video and not data.

thunderbolt 4 to thunderbolt adaptor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.