You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to view photos saved on newer version of Photos app.

My partner saved photos on newer OS12.5.1 on their Macbook. The photos are saved on an external SSD.

I tried to open the folder on my Macbook Pro (mid 2014, running Big Sur 11.6.8)

My Macbook cant update to Monterey. Is there anyway I can view the photos on my old Macbook (without buying a new macbook?)

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 8:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 9:03 AM

There is no backward compatibility with Photos libraries. You have three options:

1 - upgrade to 12.5.1 if your Mac can run Monterey

2 - recover the library from a Time Machine backup made just before your partner opened the library with 12.5.1 Photos.

3 - get a new Mac that's capable of running Monterey.

Obviously the most likely of the three to succeed is #2. You do have a backups of the the library as well as your other user data, right?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2022 9:03 AM in response to anjing-gila

There is no backward compatibility with Photos libraries. You have three options:

1 - upgrade to 12.5.1 if your Mac can run Monterey

2 - recover the library from a Time Machine backup made just before your partner opened the library with 12.5.1 Photos.

3 - get a new Mac that's capable of running Monterey.

Obviously the most likely of the three to succeed is #2. You do have a backups of the the library as well as your other user data, right?

unable to view photos saved on newer version of Photos app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.