You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to find a photo of just one person

I am using Photos on my MacBook Pro. I have the latest version of macOS Monterey 12.5.

I want to find photos where there is just one person in the photo. I have tried doing the Smart Album route but would have to use "person...is...Joe" for example. And then add 50 more rules of "person...is not...Jane (and Judy and Jessica and Jennifer...)". It would take forever to do this.

I read a post where someone said use a Smart Album and use the "%". But this did not work and must have only been available on an older version.

I just want to find all the pictures of only Joe. How do I do that?

Thank you in advance for any help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 10:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 12:33 PM

Hi deege,

Thank you for bringing this matter to Apple's attention. We recommend leaving feedback on this subject or contacting our Phone Support Team. We ask for your feedback because it is vital to Apple's goal of finding new ways to improve products and services. Check out these links for more details on how to provide feedback and reach our support teams:

1. Product Feedback - Apple
  2. Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Kindest regards!

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2022 12:33 PM in response to deege

Hi deege,

Thank you for bringing this matter to Apple's attention. We recommend leaving feedback on this subject or contacting our Phone Support Team. We ask for your feedback because it is vital to Apple's goal of finding new ways to improve products and services. Check out these links for more details on how to provide feedback and reach our support teams:

1. Product Feedback - Apple
  2. Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Kindest regards!

Aug 28, 2022 9:19 AM in response to deege

Hello deege,

You are able to search for people in the Photos app and confirm additional photos of them by completing the steps below that are also listed here: Find and identify photos of people using Photos on Mac - Apple Support

View people in your library

1. "In the Photos app  on your Mac, click People in the sidebar.
  2. People that you mark as favorites appear in large squares at the top of the window. To make a person a favorite, click the Favorites button  on the photo. You can also drag someone into or out of the favorites area at the top.
  3. Tip: When you see an unnamed face in the window, you can position the pointer over the face, click Name, then enter a name.
  4. Double-click a face to see the photos of that person.
  5. Faces in the People album.
  6. To see entire photos or only faces, click the Photos or Faces button in the toolbar. To see all of a person’s photos or just a selection, click Show More or Show All at the top of the Photos area.
  7. To add a name to a person’s photos, click Add Name in the toolbar, enter a name (or choose a name that appears as you type), click Next, then click Done. 
  8. All the photos in the group are assigned the name. If a person is misidentified, you can change it by clicking it in the toolbar.
  9. Do any of the following:
  • View photos on a map: Scroll down to Places, then double-click a photo thumbnail to see the location where the photo was taken.
    • A map with thumbnails showing locations where photos of a person were taken, and commands below the map for changing People settings.Confirm additional photos of a person: When Photos identifies additional photos of a person, you can review them and confirm that the correct name is applied. Scroll down below Places, then click Confirm Additional Photos. When a photo of the person appears, click Yes to confirm the person’s identity or No to indicate that this is not the person. Click Done to stop reviewing possible photos of the person.
    • Add or remove a person from Favorites: Scroll down below Places, then click Add This Person to Favorites or Remove [name] from Favorites. 
    • Remove a person from the People album: Scroll down below Places, then click Remove [name] from People.
    • When you remove a person from the People album, the original photos aren’t removed from your library. 
    • Create a memory using photos of a person: Scroll down below Places, then click Create Photo Memory. A new memory about this person appears in Memories. 
    • See fewer photos of this person: If you prefer not to see photos of a person in your People album, scroll down below Places, then click “Feature [name] less.” Photos of this person will appear less often in Memories and in the People album. To change this setting, choose Photos > Preferences, click General, then click Reset Suggested People.
    • Select a photo as the “key photo” to represent all photos of a person: While viewing thumbnails of the person, Control-click a photo, then choose Make Key Photo."

Best regards.

Aug 28, 2022 11:58 AM in response to mario49

Thank you for your reply. I actually know all of this. I have already read this Support post trying to find my answer. I have 30,000+ photos and 12,000+ videos. Most all are neatly organized. They are in their respective People albums. I have made numerous Folders with appropriate Albums. I can adjust time, search by location and add keywords, titles and rename the file names with a script. I can do almost anything with Photos except the original question. This is not a People issue. This is a search issue.

How do I find a photo with just one person in it?

How to find a photo of just one person

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.