You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does a flashing file folder mean? My computer has not been used in over 2 years And has not been plugged /powered. I have MacBook Pro 2017. TIA

What does a flashing file folder mean? My computer has not been used in over 2 years And has not been plugged /powered. I have MacBook Pro 2017. TIA

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 5:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 6:23 PM

See information in If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

2 replies

Aug 27, 2022 7:12 PM in response to Iw2g4arn

While booted to the macOS installer (Internet Recovery Mode or USB installer) you will need to launch Disk Utility to see whether the physical SSD appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility.

There is a possibility the data on the SSD has become corrupted if the SSD has not received any power to refresh the SSD's NAND memory cells in two years. You may need to erase the whole physical SSD before reinstalling macOS and restoring from a backup. FYI, you should also make sure to keep the battery properly charged when the laptop is being stored (keep the battery with a charge between 20% to 50% since the battery can become permanently damaged if the battery is left completely discharged for an extended time).

If you have a non-touchbar model, then the SSD may actually have failed if the physical SSD does not show up in Disk Utility since the SSD in that particular model has a high rate of failure.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.