You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my MacBook Pro not stay charged all the time when its plugged in?

When I have my MacBook Pro plugged in, the battery goes down in charging (~70%) and then recharges periodically. Why doesn't it stay 100% charged all the time? I cannot find anything related to this. Is there something wrong with my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 7:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 3:04 AM

With macOS Big Sur or later, your Mac can learn from your charging habits to improve the lifespan of your battery.

In macOS Big Sur or later, Optimized Battery Charging is designed to improve the lifespan of your battery and reduce the time your Mac spends fully charged. When this feature is enabled, your Mac will delay charging past 80% in certain situations. Your Mac learns your charging routine and aims to ensure your Mac is fully charged when unplugged.

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2022 3:04 AM in response to jamesstine9

With macOS Big Sur or later, your Mac can learn from your charging habits to improve the lifespan of your battery.

In macOS Big Sur or later, Optimized Battery Charging is designed to improve the lifespan of your battery and reduce the time your Mac spends fully charged. When this feature is enabled, your Mac will delay charging past 80% in certain situations. Your Mac learns your charging routine and aims to ensure your Mac is fully charged when unplugged.

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Aug 27, 2022 9:33 PM in response to jamesstine9

MacBook Not Charging. ⚡️

If that does not help, then I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

Aug 27, 2022 9:38 PM in response to jamesstine9

jamesstine9 Said:

"When I have my MacBook Pro plugged in, the battery goes down in charging (~70%) and then recharges periodically. Why doesn't it stay 100% charged all the time? I cannot find anything related to this. Is there something wrong with my MacBook Pro?"

-------

For reference...

Troubleshooting Mac Charge:

Refer to the following....

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

B. Try a New Charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to for Power:

Why does my MacBook Pro not stay charged all the time when its plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.