You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compatibile 19-21 inch monitor for macbook air?

I want to buy a compatible monitor that is around 19-21'' for my macbook air but I am very confused after reading online about looking at ppi, refresh rates, scaling when buying a compatible monitor. I am a novice with technology and it's difficult for me to understand these things. I want to have a compatible monitor that can look exactly like the same screen as my macbook air including able to see text very clearly in applications like microsoft word.  

The specs for my macbook air are - MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015). LCD. 1440 × 900 pixels. Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

My budget is around $200 - $300 but if something is even cheaper that would be great. Can anyone help me out and recommend a compatible monitor that meets my specs?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP!! 

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 11:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 12:21 PM

If you want a 21" monitor that is as crisp and clear as an Apple screen, you may need to pay more than $300, I'm

afraid. It all depends on if your MacBook has a Retina display or not.

The Retains MacBook Air has a screen that is 227 pixels per inch, or ppi. This is quite a lot- retina clarity essentially means the individual pixels aren't visible to the naked eye from a normal viewing distance.

An equivalent monitor could be the LG UltraFine 4K (22"). At 219 ppi, it's almost exactly the same as your Macbook Air. However, it costs around $540 (it's been discontinued, but is still available on certain third party sites like Amazon). The new version is slightly larger (23.7") and is carried by Apple, but has a lower ppi than the original, at 186 (though this is not likely to be noticeable). However, it costs more as well- $699.95.

If your MacBook is not a Retina version, it only has about 128 ppi. It'll be much easier and cheaper to get a 21" monitor at around there- you'll just have to shop around. There are a lot of choices!

The bottom line is- you may need to compromise for a lower ppi than your MacBook screen if you wish to remain within budget.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2022 12:21 PM in response to dharm231

If you want a 21" monitor that is as crisp and clear as an Apple screen, you may need to pay more than $300, I'm

afraid. It all depends on if your MacBook has a Retina display or not.

The Retains MacBook Air has a screen that is 227 pixels per inch, or ppi. This is quite a lot- retina clarity essentially means the individual pixels aren't visible to the naked eye from a normal viewing distance.

An equivalent monitor could be the LG UltraFine 4K (22"). At 219 ppi, it's almost exactly the same as your Macbook Air. However, it costs around $540 (it's been discontinued, but is still available on certain third party sites like Amazon). The new version is slightly larger (23.7") and is carried by Apple, but has a lower ppi than the original, at 186 (though this is not likely to be noticeable). However, it costs more as well- $699.95.

If your MacBook is not a Retina version, it only has about 128 ppi. It'll be much easier and cheaper to get a 21" monitor at around there- you'll just have to shop around. There are a lot of choices!

The bottom line is- you may need to compromise for a lower ppi than your MacBook screen if you wish to remain within budget.

Compatibile 19-21 inch monitor for macbook air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.