You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

saving Deleted emails until I delete them permanently

Is there any way that I can keep my deleted emails in iCloud longer than one month? It is helpful to delete emails to keep my in box uncluttered, but sometimes I want to find a deleted email. When I delete messages, could they go to my archive folder? In the past, I have gone back to my deleted messages and deleted those older than 2 months. If my space on the server is exceeded, I will delete them earlier.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 6:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 7:25 PM

See the article Change Mailbox Behaviours preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

The mails are erased permanently after 30 days from server , you can create mailbox in " on my Mac section " and move mails from trash to it before 30 days Create or delete mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note : the mails deleted from inbox will never move to archive folder , when gmail account is set in mail application , the mails are archived automatically read Archive emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Always check mail storage space View email account information in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space for email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Keep mailboxes from getting too big in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 29, 2022 7:25 PM in response to gregmacosko

See the article Change Mailbox Behaviours preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

The mails are erased permanently after 30 days from server , you can create mailbox in " on my Mac section " and move mails from trash to it before 30 days Create or delete mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note : the mails deleted from inbox will never move to archive folder , when gmail account is set in mail application , the mails are archived automatically read Archive emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Always check mail storage space View email account information in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space for email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Keep mailboxes from getting too big in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 30, 2022 7:57 AM in response to gregmacosko

See the link https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6576?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop#zippy=%2Cmove-archived-messages-back-to-your-inbox

For iCloud account you have to manually archive particular mails in apple mail application .

For second question .

Multiple same mail address say example1@gmail.com will be shown , the person should added in Mac address book with complete correct mail address , first and last name then it will be searched .If searching doesn’t find the right emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Also searching is always done from inbox / sent folders and not from archive folder , archiving of gmails is automatic , the mails inside are second copy you don't need to alter / delete them or move to inbox / sent ..etc

Aug 30, 2022 6:21 AM in response to tygb

Thank you. A question: On my Apple Mail app, I have my gmail and iCloud accounts. For gmail, every message I receive or send, with the exception of Junk, goes to my gmail archive folder. I have messages back to 2020, and my server space isn't full. (I will delete everything older than 3 months). Why can't I do this with my iCloud account?

Another question. When I search in the gmail Archive folder by entering a name, e.g. Phill, a number of possible email addresses drop down below the search box, with a great number of emails on the left as possibilities. However, when I select one of the addresses below the search box, all of the possible emails disappear. Yet the email address I selected, was in the previous long list of possibilities. It makes no sense that when I limit the search, I get no results for the person I'm searching for. But he is in the broader search.

saving Deleted emails until I delete them permanently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.