You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making bootable USB drive with monterey os and reinstalling on mac book air with M1

I am having M1 MBA. I want to create MBA bootable USB drive so that in case of problem with OS in MBA, I can reinstall OS without much internet requirement. This is required to use less data when I am in a place where net speed is less or data quantity is not available.

How to proceed to make Bootable USB drive with Monterey

How to reinstall OS with that USB drive.

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 11:55 AM

14 replies

Aug 31, 2022 8:32 AM in response to PRP_53

P. Phillips wrote:

Reason - Reformatting an M1 / M2 computer will probably Bork the EFI Boot ROM on the computer rendering the machine in a worse stated.

Then the user will have to use this method to Revive the computer

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator

That is an issue that may arise if you attempt to erase the drive incorrectly, but it doesn't have any affect on the ability to create, boot, or install from a bootable installer.

You could certainly warn about failing to reset your Apple Silicon device which may be part of the goal that is driving the creation of a bootable installer, but this statement is patently false:

FYI - a Bootable Installer and booting from it will not work on Apple Silicon Apple M Class Computers .

Aug 31, 2022 6:14 AM in response to PRP_53

FYI - a Bootable Installer and booting from it will not work on Apple Silicon Apple M Class Computers .

It will work on Intel Based but not Apple Silicon

Where did you read this? I have done it on an M1 Mini. It's been a while, but I created an external boot drive using a bootable USB Installer that contained several macOS installs.

Making bootable USB drive with monterey os and reinstalling on mac book air with M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.