You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AutoSave not enabled on my MacBook Pro or iMac

Hi everyone,

I cannot get autosave to work for pages or numbers on either my MacBook or iMac (works fine on my iPhone).

Version for the MacBook in case needed is 12.2.1 Monterey.

I've read a couple of forums, all of which you must save the document first before autosave can kick in. I've done this. All my documents are saved to my iCloud Drive, and I have tried testing autosave in my local documents folder too, but no matter what I do, any document I open and edit will not use auto save and I have to use command + S. At the top of the window, they all say docname - Edited.

Speaking to Apple Support, they've told me to check the tick box in system preferences --> general 'ask to keep changes when closing documents' as this was previously unchecked; apparently having that unchecked will disable auto save, but having now ticked it, it hasn't made any difference with documents still not autosaving.

Given it doesn't work on my iMac or MacBook, it feels like there's a setting I've missed somewhere but I'm at a total loss on how to get this working.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 2:37 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 30, 2022 2:48 PM in response to Sammi_2023

Autosave for Apple's Pages, Numbers, and Keynote is automatic after the first manual save of your document to either iCloud, or the home directory of your startup drive. It will also work over the Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) hosted as a Shared storage point from a network attached storage (NAS) unit such as a Synology Disk Station. It may not work with Microsoft's One Drive, or guaranteed to work with any other cloud service.

AutoSave not enabled on my MacBook Pro or iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.