You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Defective USB C Ports on MacBook Pros

Is Apple offering to replace these yet. I online and just around the office that a LOT of people are having issues with C ports on relatively new machines. If you just wiggle the cord on either of my ports, whatever is plugged in looses continuity e.g. the projector stops showing the slides I am teaching from, the battery stops charging, my backup HD says "improperly ejected"...

It's quite frustrating and frankly not "Apple worthy".

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 6:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 7:00 AM

There are no Apple Service Programs currently available for your issue.

Based on your situation, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 31, 2022 7:00 AM in response to Burleyk

There are no Apple Service Programs currently available for your issue.

Based on your situation, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

Sep 2, 2022 9:22 AM in response to Burleyk

The problem with USB-C ports is they handle both data transfers of traditional ports, but also power to charge & power the laptop which makes these ports different and more complex than older Macs. I think a big part of the problem is that third party devices are causing damage to the circuitry on these ports. I know with a charger, that if the charger damages the chip for the one USB-C port that it can sometimes prevent any of the other USB-C ports from providing power to the laptop from the charger even though each port has their own chip, yet the data devices will perfectly fine.

I also notice that these ports on the laptops I support for our organization seem to have a lot of liquid damage/corrosion on them which greatly contributes to problems.

I've also seen reports from a respected repair guy online who believes one of the chips seems to be weak and tends to have a high rate of failure (no liquid damage involved), but I personally lean to a mix of weak chip and bad third party devices being connected contributing to the other issues. I know these USB-C Macs and even recent versions of macOS have an awful lot of quirky behaviors compared to the older models. I now treat this quirky behavior as the new "normal" since it is intermittent across a lot of computers which otherwise are not having any problems.

It also does not help that Apple has consolidated what used to be multiple individual parts/components into a single complex part that now has a single point of failure, but dozens of new ways for actually failing because of the integration. I've seen so much that I can no longer recommend them to any one.

You have to keep in mind the Apple of today is not the Apple of yesterday. The Apple people loved started disappearing a decade ago.

Aug 31, 2022 6:44 PM in response to Burleyk

I do know that the USB-C ports on the 2016 & 2017 models are very poorly designed and become loose over time because the fiber board edges are made to help snap the USB-C cables in place, but the fiber board nubs wear down quickly causing the cables to be loose and easily disconnected. On the 2018+ models Apple has reinforced the edges of the USB-C ports with metal which should wear much better (so far I haven't seen an issue with them).

Apple is not offering any free repair programs for this issue and are unlikely to do so now that the laptop models affected are 5+ years old with the 2016 model now considered "Vintage" with only two more years of possible hardware support.

You can always provide Apple with product feedback here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Defective USB C Ports on MacBook Pros

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.