You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This item is temporarily unavailable."

I just upgraded to a newer MacBook and I am trying to reset my old one for my roommate, since it's old but somehow better than her PC. The Macbook I am trying to reset is a (late?) 2008 Macbook Pro that someone borked by trying to turn it into a chromebook, and I installed El Capitan on it. When it was given to me a year ago, I put a new SSD HD and more RAM in it and after a short battle, managed to get it working. I have been using it for about a year with no issues.

Now I am trying to reset it, I am going through the reinstall process and I really can't get it worked out. I am getting the install error: "This item is temporarily unavailable." when logging in with either my Apple ID or my roommate's. I specifically remember having this issue with every mac I have ever been given, so I've done this before and I can't for the life of me remember how... With my new Mac, it sort of just worked...

I tried changing the date back in the terminal (date -u 010101002017), but when I go to install OSX, it asks me to verify my computer's eligibility and gives me the error, "an error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

When I try to log into iCloud on Safari (Get Help Online--still in recovery mode, I do not have access to an installed OS anymore, since I stupidly wiped the drive already, so I can only boot into recovery mode.), the page remains with the loading icon in the middle for hours without changing.

Any help is appreciated! Please be patient, as my technical abilities are... basic.

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 7:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 7:06 PM

Try booting the laptop into Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R which should not require authenticating with an AppleID to confirm a previous "purchase" of macOS 10.11. While I think the 2017 date should be Ok, try using 2016 or even 2015 to see if that makes a difference. I think 2016 was used by another user recently.

Otherwise you can create a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article if you have access to another Qualifying Mac:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

A Qualifying Mac is one which is compatible with the OS installer you are trying to download. For downloading & creating a macOS 10.11 installer requires a Mac from 2008 to 2015. You can use this article to see which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware so you can confirm a Qualifying Mac.

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

Otherwise for a 2008 model you can use the retail OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard upgrade DVD which then will allow you to use this laptop to access the 10.11 installer.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2022 7:06 PM in response to Aggleclack

Try booting the laptop into Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R which should not require authenticating with an AppleID to confirm a previous "purchase" of macOS 10.11. While I think the 2017 date should be Ok, try using 2016 or even 2015 to see if that makes a difference. I think 2016 was used by another user recently.

Otherwise you can create a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article if you have access to another Qualifying Mac:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

A Qualifying Mac is one which is compatible with the OS installer you are trying to download. For downloading & creating a macOS 10.11 installer requires a Mac from 2008 to 2015. You can use this article to see which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware so you can confirm a Qualifying Mac.

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

Otherwise for a 2008 model you can use the retail OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard upgrade DVD which then will allow you to use this laptop to access the 10.11 installer.

"This item is temporarily unavailable."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.