You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did I have to pay for "promotional" gift card?

I purchased a MacBook for college for my daughter as a HS graduation gift, I waited until the tax free weekend in my state and I thought I was getting the student discount plus no tax and a $150 dollar gift card, sounded like a great deal. When I received the invoice for my payment it showed the $150 discount which brought the price down to $749. At that point I was satisfied with my purchase, until it was time to pay my credit card and come to find out that I paid for the gift card! There were two separate charges, one for the $749 and then one for $150. So basically I paid full price, so if I'm paying for the gift card why are they calling it a promotion or a discount?? I don't care how they try to explain it away, bottom line I feel scammed. I did not need to "purchase" a gift card I wanted to get a discount. They make it look like you are getting a good deal when in fact you are not, you're paying for your own "gift" so how is this right?? We are an apple family and have been for a long time but this has really left a bad taste in my mouth. Don't lie to your customers, if you're not actually giving me a gift card that brings the total down to the amount I was comfortable paying then just be clear and let me decide wether or not I want to purchase the product for the price you are selling it. Don't scam me into thinking I'm getting a good deal when I'm actually not.

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 11:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 12:21 PM

No scam. Apple clearly explains this is what is happening in their promotion information.

The offer is for a $150 gift card with eligible purchases. Nowhere does it say you will get a discount on the product you are buying only.

If you did not want a gift card then why apply for an offer that clearly states it will give you a gift card?

You get a discount on the Product you buy and are charged for $150 gift card. Why they do it this way, only they know, we cannot explain it nor can we argue about Apple's policies here.

Next time read the information carefully so you know what you are getting into before hand.

Link-> Back to School - Education Discounts - Education - Apple

3. Qualified Purchasers receive an Apple Gift Card when they purchase an eligible Mac or iPad at a Qualifying Location. Only one Apple Gift Card per eligible Mac or iPad per Qualified Purchaser. Offer subject to availability. While supplies last. Qualified Purchasers shall receive a discount equal to the value of the Apple Gift Card off the price of the eligible Mac or iPad, but will be charged for all items in their cart, including the Apple Gift Card.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 6, 2022 12:21 PM in response to saozmaal

No scam. Apple clearly explains this is what is happening in their promotion information.

The offer is for a $150 gift card with eligible purchases. Nowhere does it say you will get a discount on the product you are buying only.

If you did not want a gift card then why apply for an offer that clearly states it will give you a gift card?

You get a discount on the Product you buy and are charged for $150 gift card. Why they do it this way, only they know, we cannot explain it nor can we argue about Apple's policies here.

Next time read the information carefully so you know what you are getting into before hand.

Link-> Back to School - Education Discounts - Education - Apple

3. Qualified Purchasers receive an Apple Gift Card when they purchase an eligible Mac or iPad at a Qualifying Location. Only one Apple Gift Card per eligible Mac or iPad per Qualified Purchaser. Offer subject to availability. While supplies last. Qualified Purchasers shall receive a discount equal to the value of the Apple Gift Card off the price of the eligible Mac or iPad, but will be charged for all items in their cart, including the Apple Gift Card.

Sep 14, 2022 5:17 AM in response to Phil0124

Though it is not a scam per sae, it absolutely feels like false advertising. A gift implies something given. Can you imagine giving someone a gift for their birthday that they have to pay for?

Though it states in the fine print that the total sum equals the same amount as the retail value of the device, the promotion feels manipulative and misleading for sure. Not to mention the promotion bar says “$150 towards college”. In what way is paying my own money onto a gift card helpful towards my education?

I’m not sure I would’ve read that find print and understood it either way. Because it truly makes no sense. I’m glad I’m not alone in feeling lead on and enticed to “hurry up and purchase”.

Sep 14, 2022 6:47 AM in response to asher286

Again no. They deduct $150 from the price of the laptop and then charge you that same amount for the gift card. You aren't paying for the gift card an extra $150.

You are getting $150 you did not pay for anyway.

If the computer is $300, you pay only $150 for it, and $150 for the gift card. At the end of the day you get $450 dollars worth and you only paid $300. Yes, it's a very convoluted way of doing it, but it is what it is. And you are getting the $150 as promised and are not paying anything extra for it.

Why did I have to pay for "promotional" gift card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.