You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers

Why does 'save as' not show up in the File drop down menu? When I go to the Help menu it shows there.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 4:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 1:40 PM

Yeah, it's not like the menu is so long it doesn't fit or it is such a powerful command that they want to be sure you don't hit it by accident. I truly do not understand the design philosophy of hiding menu items.

I believe if you want to see Save As in the menu system, go to System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts and assign it the shortcut for Duplicate (shift command S). My File menu has Save As in it. I think that was what I did to make it show up. I made it the Save As shortcut for all apps, not just Numbers.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 7, 2022 1:40 PM in response to jt105

Yeah, it's not like the menu is so long it doesn't fit or it is such a powerful command that they want to be sure you don't hit it by accident. I truly do not understand the design philosophy of hiding menu items.

I believe if you want to see Save As in the menu system, go to System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts and assign it the shortcut for Duplicate (shift command S). My File menu has Save As in it. I think that was what I did to make it show up. I made it the Save As shortcut for all apps, not just Numbers.

Sep 7, 2022 5:40 PM in response to jt105

jt105 wrote:

Does seem strange it just doesn't show up though.

This is the same behavior as in a lot of other Mac apps, particularly those developed by Apple. If I recall correctly, over a decade ago someone decided Duplicate is better than Save As. That drew a lot of complaints, and at some point the Save As was reintroduced, but behind the Option key.

SG

Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.